Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Prairie Doggin' On A Tuesday Night

Off the top, first off, hats off to the man, the genius, Captain Beefheart!



No word of a lie, this is an actual news story from the CBC:

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Five-year-old Gabby Supapo stuck her nose up in the air and sniffed. "Oreos," she declared.

Not exactly what the California Milk Processor Board had in mind when it outfitted five San Francisco bus shelters with ads embedded with the smell of just-out-of-the-oven chocolate chip cookies.

The scented bus shelter advertisements made their U.S. debut Monday, according Louis Zafonte, spokesman for New York-based Arcade Marketing, which designed the ads to encourage milk drinking.

"Scent is a primary driver of memory," Zafonte said. "When you smell baby powder or chocolate chip cookies, everyone feels good."

To overcome the frequent blasts of exhaust and the funky whiffs that often permeate a big-city bus shelter, scented oils were sandwiched between cardboard cards emblazoned with "Got Milk?" and affixed to shelter walls.


Which brings me to my point; public washrooms reek. And I don't mean the ones where your shoes stick to the floor and you have to flush the toilet with your foot because you don't want to touch the handle either. I mean the ones at work. The ones where you know everyone who uses the can.

(I can honestly say that my ass has not graced a public toilet in 15 years.)

The washroom at work is an olfactory nightmare. I don't know what the men in this town eat, nor do I want to know. However, what pisses me off is that I'll go in in the morning to turn on the fan preemptively...by noon, someone has turned off the fan and it smells like a bus ride to Calcutta. All we need are chickens flying around.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

I ride buses to Calcutta all the time and they don't smell like bathrooms. They do however smell like feet, so much that I have to cuff my sleeve over my nose and mouth to keep from gagging. The east indians on the bus looked very unimpressed at my doing this.

Moxy Ness said...

I once took the bus from Manilla to Cebeu and The bus smelled strongly of toast. I puuked the entire way there. No one was impressed.